Monday, April 23, 2012

Teething Toddler. & TOMS

My beautiful son has been teething his bottom two molars for months now. The first one finally popped through a few days ago and now the other one is cutting the gums. He is a terrible teether and it makes me feel so bad for him. He becomes this cranky two foot tall monster for days on end, which makes his mother want to pull her hair out! So I am appealing to the masses and asking all of you mothers out there, what worked best for your teething toddlers?

The only thing that seems to work for my son is Motrin. Orajel doesn't work, Tylenol doesn't work, teething tablets didn't work, so what I am I missing here? Is there some miraculous trick out there that I don't know about?

Okay, so that was kind of a lame T post. So, T is also for TOMS. TOMS is a great organization. They are mostly a shoe retailer, but they are also selling eye wear now. I bought my first pair of TOMS a couple of months ago and I love them. They are a very simple shoe made from canvas with a low profile sole. They are styled after the kind of shoes the people in Argentina wear. Blake Mycoskie is the founder of Toms shoes and decided to start the company after visiting Argentina. Now, the cool thing about TOMS is they have a program called ONE for ONE. For every pair of shoes purchases, they give a pair of shoes to a child in need. How cool is that? I have to admit, I like the style of TOMS, but the main reason I wanted to buy a pair is because it is such a great charity. You can find out more about the whole story at www.TOMS.com. As of 2010, the company had already donated over 1,000,000 shoes! WOW! So please, if you have the extra money (about $50) and are looking for a cool, new casual shoe for the summer.. go buy a pair and GIVE a pair.

Courtesy of: Toms.com

5 comments:

  1. Popsicles. Messy, messy, but with the child in the high chair, it's OK. The long flat tubes in plastic...they come in a large box. Also, I found this recipe online. Looks so easy.

    Teething Biscuit Recipes - Vanilla Teether Shapes (DAIRY FREE) Teething biscuit recipes

    These are extremely hard cookies that stand up very well to gnawing!

    1 egg, beaten
    4 oz (1/2 cup) sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    4 oz (1 cup) flour

    Place the egg in a bowl and stir in the sugar and vanilla.
    Add the flour and stir in, until the dough is stiff (if it's sticky, add a little more flour).
    Roll out on a lightly floured surface, then cut into 8 to 10 shapes (for a more 'rustic' look, you can simply shape the dough with your hands, as we do!).
    Allow to stand for 12 hours (it's a good idea to make these in the evening then leave the dough overnight).
    Preheat the oven to 325 deg F, 160 deg C, then bake until golden and hard (around 30 mins). Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
    Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly

    Read more: http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/teething-biscuit-recipes.html#ixzz1sycFdYTy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm going to give you an amazing trick but don't think the worst of me. Try with tequila. Actually, any kind of alcohol works, except for the medicinal kind. You have to wet your finger on it and then rub his gums. It'll make them feel numb and he'll be a happy baby for about two to three hours. Since he isn't actually intaking any of the stuff, you can do this as many times as you feel comfortable with. And the added bonus is you can pour yourself a drink. =)

    Hope this helps.
    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't really remember but don't teething babies like to chew on things? :) I knew I should have filled out that baby book! I think I remember the popsickle trick. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would keep trying cold teething rings and the popsicles--good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @mare ball- Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to try that when the top molars start poking through!

    @Gina- I definitely don't think the worst of you, but I'm scared to try that... haha. Maybe I'll just have a drink anyway :)

    @Jess & Lynn- Popsicles do work great, they're just soooo messy... ugh!

    ReplyDelete