Thursday, April 19, 2012

Quiet

Quiet, oh how I relish the quiet. I never knew this until I had my son. I really never gave much thought to the quiet time I had. Well, that's not quite true. I suppose I did notice my quiet time, but not in the sense of enjoying it. I would notice my quiet time when I had had too much of it and needed to do something to fill my time. Instead of worrying about getting more quiet time, I worried about how I could have less quiet time, less me time. It's funny how that works I suppose. It's true that the grass is always greener on the other side. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my son for the world. However, I really do miss those days of sleeping in and watching movie after movie on a dreary day. I know that someday I will get them back when he's too cool for me and is always wanting to be somewhere other than home. Sometimes though, it just doesn't seem like I'll ever have more than an hour of quiet time from life.

I usually save my blogging until late at night when everyone else is sleeping. It's quiet for me then. I trade a few winks of sleep for my coveted quiet time. My mom warned me that all my "me" time would come late at night when the rest of the world was snoozing. I'm not sure if I believed her then, but I sure do now. She would tell me stories of cleaning the house and folding laundry after we all went to sleep and I thought what a silly way to spend your time. I get it now, boy do I ever get it now. Folding laundry is a chore I've never liked much, but it's 10x times worse when your toddler unfolds everything directly after you just folded it. There is solace in quiet time for me now. I can relax and not think about anything. Or if I do feel like thinking, I can choose what I want to think about. I can put the rest of the world on the back burner for a short amount time. I think we all forget how much a little quiet can do for a tired soul. You can take time to kick your feet up, have a glass of wine, or maybe even enjoy a TV show that's been taking up room on the DVR list. You can catch up on blogs you've been meaning to read or even read a few pages of a book you haven't cracked open in weeks. So for now, I am going to enjoy the last little bit of quiet time I have tonight and I want to remind you to also take a little quiet time for yourself... and appreciate it!

Over & Out.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, find quiet in the evening, usually late nights. The house is quiet, people are asleep - I can THINK. And write, which always soothes my soul.

    ReplyDelete