Sunday, April 15, 2012

M... a day late.

I apologize that I am a day late on my M post. We had a surprise birthday party for my father in law's 50th birthday. It wasn't quite a success because someone of course told him about it. Oh well.

Manners.
I look around at people in society today and notice that manners are almost non-existent. People don't say Hi anymore. People can't even keep their eyes front facing because they're always walking and texting. Only a few people hold doors anymore and if you find yourself holding a door for someone you'd be hard pressed to get a thank you. I am not perfect in the manners department, trust me I know. Society, as a whole, used to be much more strict in this area. I am from the generation that has completely forgotten their manners. Everything is about me, me, me. Young adults seem to have no respect for their elders. People don't respect places that are family oriented. People just seem to walk around with the mind set, "I have every right to be here and do and say whatever I like and if you don't like, then screw you, you can leave."

It honestly just makes me sad. I want to live in a world that is pleasant and nice to be in. I want to know my neighbors and feel comfortable to say hello. I like to wave at people as I am taking my child on a walk. If I have to socially interact with someone when I run to the grocery store, I would like it to be a pleasant exchange instead of a nasty one. I live in a small town, so I am already luckier than most because many people still feel how I do. I could never cut it in a large city where people are too busy to even notice another person, let alone say hello and offer a smile. I guess you can call me old fashioned, but I think it would just make life a little nicer. Have a goodnight!

8 comments:

  1. I think this is one of the things i like the most about my city that there are still some manners here and there , it is actually one of my pet peeves to be honest especially when you hold the door and don't get a thank you, thanks for a Magnificent post as always and happy birthday Mr father in law

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. No more written thank you notes, people have their cells phones on even in the bathroom, answering cell phones while in a public place like the post-office so everyone has to hear every word of nothing important, and loud music in stores. Just a few pet peeves. But when someone is kind and says hello or opens the door, or helps someone in a small way, it is such a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manners are disappearing and it is very sad. At one McDonalds in particular that I go to, the people just throw the food to you and close their window and don't say a word. There is another one across town that is super friendly and it makes all of the difference in the world.

    I couldn't agree more about manners...great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right with this post. I've noticed the same as Crack You Whip, I hate the way people just throw food at you when you get your order, and service everywhere seems to have gone out the window. It's always such a nice surprise when someone is pleasant!

    I hope you all enjoyed the birthday party even if the surprise was ruined! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, good manners and politeness should be taught at school and home

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Manners are not as important as they used to be. It makes me sad, too. I think all the technology has not helped. People have their faces tuned to screens and personal interaction is less needed. My daughter-in-law still writes thank you notes and sends them snail mail. They are a treasure to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! Yes! Bring back manners. I constantly tell my sons (age 5 and 8) to look adults in the eye and to say please and thank you, and to not interrupt people. I am working on it! I want them to grow up to be polite and nice to be around. :)

    great post!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're not alone, but rather than worry about whether or not other people are gonna be friendly or polite, I just go out of my way to be friendly and polite to them first, and have found that most people respond in kind. They may be having a lousy day, and a friendly smile and/or word may be all it takes to improve their disposition. Nice to meetcha. Just dropping by on an A-Z fly-by. Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete